Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Venture Of The Heart. And Stomach.

In late fall I began the official journey of a new business venture.  A tasty, tasty venture.

It was kind of an impromptu thing...  I love to bake stuff for people and they love to eat it.  This summer there was a guy from our church that tasted my lemon-drop cookies and said, "Hey, do you sell these?"  I said that I didn't, I just love to bake.  He asked if I baked anything else tasty, and I rattled off a few of the family favorites that I usually make.  A few weeks later, he asked me if I would consider making some samples of some of my best recipes for his coworkers, and I hesitantly agreed.  I've only ever sold my baking to Pete's boss (he orders cakes from me quite a lot), and I wasn't sure if getting into the cookie business was really going to benefit me.  I mean, sometimes when someone is paying you to do something, whether you love to do it or not, there's a certain amount of added pressure.  And there's the worry of whether or not I'll actually make money doing this.  I decided to test it out for the time being, and go from there.  Well, the second I dropped off those cookies, I got a facebook message from this guy asking for a price list of goodies.  Figuring out the prices and sending the list over facebook, he made up the company name "Christy's Savories" for me, typed up a fancy looking menu, and posted it at the office.  The response was overwhelming.  Christy's Savories was a success!  I got pretty darn busy - especially over Christmas.

So now that Christy's Savories has lasted through the season (and actually made a profit, yay!), I'll continue the test and see where it takes me.

www.christyssavories.com




No comments: