Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Emotions

At the supper table tonight, Nathan took a break from eating for a moment and asked me, "Mommy, do you know how 'emotional bank accounts' work?"

"Do YOU know how emotional bank accounts work?" I asked.

"Yes, I do!"  And then he told me all about how if someone makes you happy or says something nice, it's like they are depositing emotional money into your bank account, and if someone says something mean or makes you sad, it's like they are taking it away.  And if you have lots of emotional money, you can give as much away as you have.  Needless to say, I was floored at how casual Nathan was with his presentation of the topic...

*        *        *

At breakfast last week, I had some worship music playing while we were eating, and the song Christ Is Risen by Matt Maher started playing.  Zack said to me, "Mommy, this song makes me feel funny."  I asked him why and he said, "Well, it makes me happy that Jesus came back to life and we can go to heaven..."  And then he looked up at me and his eyes were brimming with tears.  "But it still hurts so much that He had to die."

No comments: